Bacon, bacon, bacon. We all know and love it – aside from vegetarians, and they truly don’t know what they’re missing out on. But do we really know bacon?
Let’s have a closer look at everyone’s favourite pork-induced food:
1. Bacon comes from the belly of a pig.
2. 70% of all Bacon consumed in the USA is eaten during breakfast time. Canada doesn’t make this data available… interesting.
3. There are ‘types’ of pigs bred specifically for the creation of bacon: Yorkshire and Tamworth.
4. “Bacon Day” is held annually on the Saturday before Labour Day.
5. It is one of the oldest processed meats in history – with the Chinese salting pork bellies as early as 1500 B.C.
I maintain that everything is good in moderation, and the same goes for bacon. Beyond this, bacon actually contains Vitamin B1, B12, Zinc, and Selenium. This helps boosts vitality, helps fight against anaemia, and contains antioxidants that help boost your immune system. Eat away!
Beyond all of this, bacon has many healthy varieties, has been said to provide remedies even to things such as hangovers, and can even be made to go with otherwise random side-dishes, such as ice-cream!
Aside from all this however, I view bacon as a companion. Bacon will always be there for you, never not call you back, it’ll give its honest opinion, and most of the time never ask for anything in return. OK, OK, maybe I’m taking this a little over the fence, but the point here is that bacon is awesome – just have a look at some of the interesting articles posted here. In fact, I present to you a challenge: read 2-3 articles on this site at least and I guarantee that if you were already a bacon lover you’ll be that much more intrigued by your favourite pork delicacy. If you weren’t a bacon lover to begin with, then I at least guarantee you’ll be tempted to eat some bacon in the near future!
So what do you guys think? What do YOU love about bacon?