- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Do you like it hot? Do you like it Jalapeno Poppers Hot?
I like it hot.
Let’s make it hot. The Bacon. Let’s do it – make it spicy, I mean. Need I say more? Wait, I do. I love Jalapeno Poppers Recipes… with bacon!
… Well, I’ll say a couple more things. I’m doing these jalapeno poppers a little bit different than you would see at your local pub. I got the idea from a friend of mine whose mother makes these all the time. Instead of breading and deep frying the whole thing, we’re going to use the bacon as a pseudo-breading and bake them instead. This is a stupidly easy recipe – great for appetizers at a party.
You better like it hot. Are you ready?
12 Strips Maple Leaf Bacon
1 cup Cream Cheese
½ cup Extra Sharp Cheddar
1 clove Garlic
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F
2. Grate your cheddar and mix it in with your cream cheese. You don’t have to use cheddar. You can use whatever you please, really. If you like it, use it! Feel free to experiment. I do recommend keeping the cream cheese because it adds a nice creamy balance to the spicy jalapenos.
3. Dice up your garlic and scallion and mix everything together. The cream cheese, the grated cheddar, scallion and garlic. The whole deal. Mix it all up.
4. Grab your jalapenos and slice ‘em down the middle with your favourite knife. I highly recommend wearing gloves when doing this. Even still, remember not to touch your face or eyes or special bits or ANYTHING before you wash your hands. Capsaicin (the stuff that makes hot peppers hot) is a hell of a sticky molecule, and boy does it burn.
5. With a spoon, scoop out the seeds and the core. This will get rid of the majority of the overwhelming spice. The skin still is quite spicy, but contains all the flavour.
6. Fill each half with your cream cheese mixture.
7. Wrap each jalapeno with a half strip of bacon. You don’t need to add a toothpick because they’ll stick together and stay closed once you bake them.
8. Throw everything on a lined baking sheet and whack them in the oven for about 15 minutes or so, or until the bacon has gone crispy. Keep an eye out, you don’t want them to burn!
9. Chow down like a jalapeno champion.