- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 10 min
I’m telling ya, salad is making a comeback this summer. As long as I keep pairing them with bacon, I don’t know how they could go wrong.
This recipe is a Momma Chef Bacon special. She made this for me when I came to visit last week. It was quite a scorcher outside so she wasn’t in the mood to get the oven or stove going for more than a pot of water (or bacon, there’s always time for bacon). Everything else is cool, crisp and refreshing. Great for a side dish or a full meal! Now I forgot to add in the onion when I photographed this, but it makes a great addition to the dish.
Also, the white vinegar gives a great tang that isn’t there without it. You might be sceptical, but it’s a necessary ingredient.
1 lb Pasta (Fuscilli or Rotini)
2 tins Tuna (in oil)
¼ cup Mayo
3 tbsp White Vinegar
2 stalks Celery
½ Red Onion
3 tbsp Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1. Get the pot of salted water on the stove. Bring that bad boy to a boil.
2. Cut your bacon into strips again and fry ‘em up! Childsplay! Well, not really. Get your kid away from the stove. Reserve the fried bacon on a paper towel and leave it to cool.
3. Grab your pepper and celery and give them a good wash. Dice them up along with the carrots and onion.
4. I was able to dice up everything nice and fine before my water started to boil. Aim for that!
5. Grab your pasta. I used fuscilli. You can use whatever you like. Short works best here. I like the curls of the fuscilli so everything in the salad can get in between and mix together. Boil according to your package instructions. When it’s done, drain and toss in a bit of olive oil and leave to cool. The olive oil is so the pasta doesn’t stick together.
6. In a large bowl, empty your cans of tuna. I used the tuna in oil so it wasn’t as dry as the one in water.
7. Smash this up with a fork nice and fine.
8. Add your mayo and vinegar. Give that a good mix.
9. Stir in your veggies that you’ve diced nice and fine.
10. Mmmmm …Wonderful vegetables.
11. Grab your cooled pasta and mix that together with your tuna/veg mix, season with salt and pepper and add in your bacon. Plate this, go out on your patio and enjoy!