- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 15 min Cook Time: 15 min
A couple of years ago, I received a waffle maker from a really good friend of mine. To this day, it is one of the greatest gifts I’ve ever received. It makes ridiculously delicious waffles. I don’t know if my waffles are better than my bacon and eggs recipe.
I, like most people, like to have my waffles with maple syrup and a side of bacon. Mind you, I have pretty much everything with a side of bacon. What if I were able to incorporate both of those things INSIDE the waffle. I think it would make for a pretty friggin’ delicious waffle, if you ask me. I’ve decided to make a cornmeal waffle for two reasons. The first being that I’ve never made a cornmeal waffle before and the second being I that I’ve been told cornmeal waffles are delicious – crispy on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside. That’s what I’m going for here, folks.
1 ½ cups Cornmeal
¾ cup All purpose flour
3 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
2 Eggs, yolks and whites separated
¼ cup Maple syrup
2 tsp Vanilla
½ cup Melted butter
1 ½ cups Buttermilk
1. Let’s start like we always do – fry up your bacon. I cut really tiny strips. You don’t want the bacon to interfere with the batter too much.
2. Fry till crispy and reserve on a paper towel.
3. Sift together your cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together your egg yolks and syrup. Mix these really,really well.
5. Add in your vanilla, melted butter and buttermilk and continue whisking. Add the wet ingredients into your flour/cornmeal mixture and stir everything together
6. In another bowl, beat your egg whites until they hold peaks. You can do this with a mixer, but I did it by hand. It’s good training, but a lot of work. I recommend a mixer.
7. Mix your bacon pieces into your batter, then carefully fold in your egg whites. We want the egg whites to add airiness to the batter, that’s why we beat them. If you vigorously mix in the egg whites, it will defeat the purpose of beating them. THIS is the key to a light and fluffy waffle.
8. Spray your waffle iron with some cooking spray and cook them waffles!
9. MmmMMmMMmmm. Sweet with a little hint of saltiness. You could even caramelize the bacon then put them in your waffles. THAT is what I’m doing tomorrow morning….
TIP: This batter also makes great pancakes.