- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Puffed rice treats were one of my favourite snacks to bring to school as a kid. The ooey gooey marshmallows holding together a crispy cereal core. Mmmmm, sugary perfection… well almost. What if I were to add caramelized bacon – the most delicious thing in the entire world – to the mix? Genius? I think so.
1½ tbsp Butter
3 cups Puffed Rice Cereal
2½ cups Marshmallows
5 strips Maple Leaf Bacon
½ cup Brown Sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 375F
2. Line a baking sheet with foil and place your strips of bacon down.
3. Coat these liberally with brown sugar. As one of my friends always says, “Excess makes the heart grow fonder.” Oh, how true it is in this case.
4. Whack these bad boys in the oven for 13-15 minutes, or until the bacon is nice and crispy.
5. Set them aside on a cooling rack.
6. Once the bacon is cool, chop it up into little pieces and set aside.
7. In a microwave safe bowl, dump in your marshmallows and butter. Microwave these for about a minute and a half. Stir it up, then microwave it again for about 45 seconds so that it its all melted together.
8. Quickly stir in your puffed rice and caramelized bacon.
9. Press the mixture into a greased pan to form and cool.
10. Cut, serve, dig in, enjoy, have a glass of milk, reminisce about kindergarten.