- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: None!
This recipe is inspired by Chef Gordon Ramsay. I’ve gained a lot of respect for that man over the last little while. He is a lot more than American television makes him out to be. He is not a malicious, crazy nut-job. He’s just a man that is super passionate about food – beautiful, gorgeous, delicious food – and wants nothing more than for people to respect the ingredients for the beautiful, gorgeous, delicious elements that they are. And, of course, always add bacon.
4 strips Maple Leaf Bacon
450g Ricotta Cheese
1/3 cup Mascarpone Cheese
2 cloves Garlic
3 tbsp Basil
2 tbsp Oregano
¼ cup Olive Oil
2 tbsp Balsalmic Reduction
Salt and Pepper
1. First thing we need to do is grab a speed peeler, or mandolin if you have one, and slice your zucchini into thin, thin ribbons.
2. On a flat dish or pan, season your zucchini liberally with olive oil, salt and pepper. Leave these aside while we prepare the filling. We need these to marinate for a few minutes.
3. Grab your mascarpone and ricotta cheeses and mix them in a large bowl.
4. Add in your sliced basil, oregano and crushed garlic cloves and mix vigorously until creamy
5. Finally add in some crumbled bacon, along with the fat that was rendered off during the frying process.
6. Grab your marinated zucchini and lay it all out on a cutting board
7. Scoop a nice dollop of your ricotta mixture and put it at the thin end of each strip of zucchini
8. Roll those bad boys up
9. Plate with a drizzling of olive oil and a drizzling of the balsamic reduction.
Hint: If you’ve never made a balsamic reduction, it’s super easy. Go check out my Spinach Salad with Caramelized Apples recipe for instructions.