- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 15 Mins
Brussels sprouts: the epitome of vegetables that kids push off to the side of their plate or attempt to feed to the dog … but the dog won’t eat it either. So what do we do? Do we force kids to eat these pitiful tasting vegetables? No. Absolutely not. We shouldn’t need to force kids to eat anything. So what do we do? We make them taste delicious and have them crave more. And how do we do that? We add bacon of course.
There’s no need to get complicated here. Just a few ingredients to create a nice fresh dish!
4 strips Maple Leaf Bacon
1 lb Brussel Sprouts
2 tbsp Dried Cranberries
Juice of ½ lemon
Salt and Pepper
1. Grab your strips of bacon and slice them up into ½” pieces. Pretty simple so far, right? We’re gonna make it a little more complicated though: fry the bacon. Oooooohhh, Mr. Complicated, I know.
2. While your bacon is frying, cut the bases off of the brussels sprouts
3. Peel the leaves off of the sprouts into a bowl. Once you get to the core and you can’t peel anymore, go ahead and slice up the core nice and thin. Give everything a good rinse.
4. Once the bacon is crispy, remove it from the rendered fat and add in some thinly sliced shallot.
5. After the shallot has gone translucent, dump in your sprouts and toss everything around. Add in your lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
6. After about 5-10 minutes, the leaves will have gone tender. Toss them in a bowl with your bacon and your cranberries. Serve, and watch your kids chow down.