- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 10 mins
I’m a big fan of southern cooking – yes, I love Paula Deen, too. This style of food is not only delicious, most of the things are super easy and super quick to make (aside from the 12-hour smokehouse style barbecue that I truly adore). Cornbread is one of these things. Super simple and goes with pretty much everything. Get creative with this recipe, throw in your favourite spices, change up the cheese, don’t use cheese at all, use a different vegetable… combinations are endless!!
5 strips Maple Leaf Bacon
1 ½ cups Cornmeal
½ cup All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
3 tbsp Sugar
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 ½ cups Sour Cream
1. First thing we’ve gotta do is fry up our bacon. Cut it up into nice small pieces – as big as you want them in your cornbread muffins.
2. While your bacon is frying, measure out your cornmeal, flour, baking powder and sugar into a nice big mixing bowl.
3. Cut your jalapenos in half and seed them
4. Then cut them up nice and evenly. Although I cut up 3 jalapenos, I only used 2 in the recipe. Didn’t want to make them too spicy!
5. Add in your jalapenos along with about ¾ of your shredded cheddar cheese.
6. Dump in your sour cream and eggs and begin to mix everything together gently.
7. By this time, your bacon should be crispy, so dump all of it in along with the fat from the pan. Make sure that it has cooled slightly and that you’ve mixed In the egg a bit already. We don’t want the hot fat to cook the eggs! Scrambled eggs in cornbread is bad!
8. Portion your batter into a greased muffin tin and top with a little bit of remaining cheddar cheese.
9. Bake at 450F for about 10-12 minutes.
10. So I ate one… you got a problem with that?