- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins
Sloppy Joes flat out bring me back to my childhood – eating one of these bad boys, having it spill out of the bun and get everywhere, then having my mother yell at me because I made an absolute mess. Oh, those were the days. I was feeling a little nostalgic yesterday, so I decided to whip these up. Did I buy the Sloppy Joe sauce in a can? Heck, no! We can do better than that, can’t we!? Let’s make our mothers proud and make a super Sloppy Joe with some surprise ingredients!
4 strips Maple Leaf Bacon
5-6 Dempster’s Deluxe Hamburger Buns
2 lbs Extra Lean Ground Beef
¼ cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
½ cup Ketchup
3 tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 Chipotle Peppers, finely chopped (with their adobo sauce)
2 tbsp Chili Powder
4 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
2 cups Potato Chips
Optional: 1 tbsp Sriracha Hot Sauce, for an added extra kick
1. First thing we’ve got to do, like most recipes, is get our bacon to release its fat so we can use it to cook some of the other things later. This time, let’s cut up our bacon super small. We want it to blend into our ground beef later. Use the biggest pan you have, you’ll see why later.
2. While your bacon is frying, get a nice fine dice on your onion and zucchini. Yes, surprise ingredient number one, zucchini! I could have added carrot or celery or something along those lines, but I love the flavour of zucchini and I think it goes SUPER well with bacon. Remember my first recipe? The zucchini carbonara proved my point fairly well, I believe.
3. Add in your zucchini and onions to the crispy bacon. Stir that up and fry it until the onions have gone soft and translucent. Season with some salt and pepper.
4. Add in your ground beef and turn the heat all the way up. Break apart the beef with your wooden spoon and get everything browning. We want to use a nice big pan for a couple reasons. First, If we crowd the pan, things won’t brown well. Second, the big pan keeps you from making a big mess! Remember: it takes just as much effort to clean a big pan as it does to clean a small pan. So take the added room of the big one!
5. Season your ground beef with everything from the brown sugar to the Worcestershire sauce. If you want it a tad spicier, add in sriracha or another one of your favourite hot sauces. I love the sriracha, though. I’d put that stuff on anything.
6. Let the liquids reduce to a nice sauce and check for seasoning. You’ll probably have to add in a touch more salt.
7. Pile the meat high on a beautiful toasted Dempster’s Deluxe hamburger bun and top it with a handful of your favourite crispy potato chips! Yes, surprise ingredient number two, potato chips! These will give your sandwich another texture, the crunch! Plus it will add a touch more saltiness that will offset the sweetness of our homemade sauce!
8. Chow down and make a mess (but don’t let your mother see)!