- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins
I’ve spoken previously about the wonders of quinoa when I made my Vegan Curried Quinoa Stuffed Peppers… with Bacon. It truly is a superfood. It’s great for summer because it tastes just as good cold as it does warm. This makes it easy to make so many different delicious salads incorporating one of the best foods you can put into your body. Super-salad indeed. Here’s just one idea – a greek style salad with lots of veggies, some feta, a simple Greek dressing and bacon, of course. Get creative here! Quinoa is a slightly nutty blank canvas to work with. Possibilities are endless.
6 strips Maple Leaf Bacon
1 Red, Orange or Yellow Bell pepper (or three mini bell peppers)
½ English Cucumber
½ Red Onion
1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
¼ cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
¼ cup Olive Oil
¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
½ tbsp Grainy Dijon Mustard
2 tsp Dried Oregano
5-6 leaves Fresh Basil
Salt and Pepper
1. Cook your quinoa according to package instructions. In the meantime, fry up your bacon! Crumble it when its crispy.
2. Grab all of your veggies (onion, peppers, cucumber and cherry tomatoes) and cut them up into small and even pieces. You could add veggies, substitute with other veggies or just use these ones. Use your imagination here!
3. In a large bowl, mug, cup or mason jar, add together your olive oil, vinegar, garlic and onion powders, Dijon mustard and dried oregano.
4. Shake or blend this all up together. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
5. Once your quinoa is cooked and cooled slightly, mix it together with your veggies, bacon, your basil chiffonade (thinly sliced!) as well as bacon and freshly mixed dressing. Don’t add in all your dressing at once. Add it little by little and tasting after every addition and mixing. You don’t want it drowning in dressing, but just enough for that hint of flavour. You could add in your crumbled feta here, but I like to put it right on top when I serve it.
6. Like this! Mmmmm, summery fresh!